Keep Commitments with Yourself and Create the Success You Desire
When you make a commitment with yourself. Do you generally keep all of them? Or do you continually let yourself down? There is always a price to be paid when you make a commitment or promise to yourself. The price can either be one of regret or one of accomplishment.
How do you feel when you make a commitment with yourself and you keep that commitment? You feel great, you feel on top of the world. In fact your body rewards you with a rush of feel good hormones. How do you feel when you let yourself down and you continually fail to meet your commitments with yourself? You feel down, disappointed and really bad. Your body rewards you with negative hormones that not only make you feel bad, but they affect your body by causing you stress and discomfort.
This seems like a no-brainer to me. If you meet and keep your commitments that you make with yourself, your body rewards you with feel good hormones and you get to achieve great things. If you don’t, you feel bad, your body punishes you with chemicals that make you feel awful and you remain trapped in mediocrity.
My question is:
- Why do people continually break their commitments to themselves?
- Why do we choose to not have the necessary discipline that allows us to meet our commitments with ourselves?
- Why do we choose to feel bad and stressed, rather than happy and satisfied?
The answer is rather simple. We are so wrapped up in quick fixes and the pleasure of the moment, that we cannot see the huge benefits of keeping all the commitments we make with ourselves.
- It is far easier to press the snooze button in the morning than it is to get up and go to gym.
- It is far easier to get wrapped up in mindless television shows that distract us than it is to find an hour or two each evening to improve our lives.
- The pleasure of the now seems far more important than the future success that will come with sustained effort.
- We are unable to wait for future gratification.
Make a conscious effort to keep your commitments with yourself over the next month. You will gradually convert this very worthwhile effort into your new success habit set. Make the choice today to make the small shift to daily discipline. When you make this really small shift, you change yourself into a super achiever.
Make the shift today:
- Read a new book that will open you up to new knowledge and empower you for success.
- Start a new productive activity that will create the future you desire.
- Start the process of life change and develop new positive habits to support your efforts.
- Make the shift to daily discipline and take small measured action every day, until you find the success you desire.
You can choose to make these small, yet significant changes right now and you will see remarkable improvements in your life very soon. Or you can choose to do nothing. Where you continue to pretend and never commit to perform anything meaningful with your life. Both choices will deliver an outcome in the future. I know that choosing to make these small shifts will cost almost nothing. The price of not making these small positive changes could be far higher. You may pay the price through unhappiness, lack of fulfilment, bankruptcy, failure, divorce or poor health. Pay the small price of daily discipline now, it weighs ounces. When compared to the huge burden you may carry later, if you do not introduce these small shifts into your life.
You can choose:
- Rest, over positive activity
- Entertainments, over education
- Continued delusion, over reality and truth
So if you want to change things in your life you must stop cursing the effect of your lackluster performance in life. You must stop nourishing the cause of your dissatisfaction and you must choose new positive daily behaviours and disciplines as your new habit set. Make better choices starting right now and you will very quickly begin living the life of your dreams.
You have the power to transform your life. You can change everything that is not satisfactory. It all starts and ends with your own power of choice. What are you waiting for?