Time Friend Or Foe
The time you invest today, will make finding balance and harmony in your life far easier. The biggest mistake most of us make is that we assume that our day will just happen and things will unfold perfectly. This only way that you get to choose how your day will turn out is if you plan the activities you will carry out the ext day.
Be disciplined every night and plan your day the evening before. Be very specific during your planning and make sure that you allocate time slots for handling emails, messages and meetings etc. You will be amazed at how much time you can gain every day by planning to use time, rather than letting time abuse you. Be assertive and don’t allow interruptions. Guard your time- the more disciplined you are with your time, the easier it will be for you to find time to do those really important things, like putting in the effort to achieve your goals or spend quality time with the really important people in your life. You have to get out of the modality of just doing, doing, doing and train yourself on how to take control of time in your life before it takes control of you.
Be very Specific and Clear
Muddling through your day is a huge time waster. You need to have clarity about exactly what you must do each day. This sounds really simple, but in reality very few people actually practice this very simple technique for improving their time consciousness. The best time to focus on creating absolute clarity is during your daily planning each evening. You must create a crystal clear picture every evening of what it is you wish to achieve the next day and draw up an action list to allow you to facilitate just that.
Time Management Courses South Africa – Super Shrink your List
When setting up your To Do list, it is imperative that you restrict yourself to a maximum of 5 priority items each day. These are those items that you must complete before putting your head on the pillow each night. Break each priority into very specific action steps and tasks, so that you have complete clarity on exactly where to start and how your day will progress.
With practice this habit set will actually allow you to plan and even forecast exactly what will happen each day. If you want to foretell your future you must design it yourself. Making your dream future your new reality happens one day at a time. The reality you are living right now is actually who you were and is a direct result of what you have done and thought in the past.
Your future can and will be designed by what you do today and tomorrow. The easiest way to really have a power day is to get the worst or most difficult task done first. You will have more energy and will be far more confident once you have put the tough stuff behind you.
Doing more does not add up to productivity, all you land up doing is spreading yourself too thin. Focus on one task at a time and be certain to acknowledge and reward yourself for each completed task. Even if you postpone rewarding yourself until your daily review each day, do not neglect this very important practice.
- See one priority through from beginning to end each day, before proceeding on to the next priority.
- Schedule all out of office meetings for the same day.
- Have a dedicated time each day for paper handling, emails, social media etc.
Eat the biggest frog first every day. i.e. do the toughest task first thing in the morning.
Responding to email is probably the biggest time waster every day. Here are some recommendations to try to streamline this process.
- Respond immediately don’t expect to come back to the email later.
- Only read emails at scheduled times each day
- Scan emails first and delete any junk mails immediately without even opening them.
- Never read personal emails when dealing with work related emails.
- Once you have dealt with an email either delete it or file it away in a sub folder for reference purposes.
- If you are unable to deal with an email immediately create a folder called “follow up” and move the email there for easy reference.
- Don’t copy people on emails just to protect yourself-this sets the tone to remind other people that you do not want to be copied on irrelevant emails either.
- If possible use separate email addresses for personal and business mail.
- If you can find the time attending a training course on how best to manage your emails will definitely serve you in the long run.
You can’t manage time; you can only manage your effective use of the available time
It starts and ends with you
Energy, activity and time management is about self management. You can never manage time you can only manage how you use the available time. Try to move away from the habit of focusing on what I like to refer to as creating the false feeling of “Busyness” This is one of the major causes of us feeling like we have really given our all, but we still feel like we got nothing done that day. Stop focusing on doing the unnecessary tasks that make you feel good, but do not contribute in any meaningful way to your success. You must create a clear picture about creating balance in your life; you must set time limits each day for work and play.
We must find time in our day for creating silence and complete relaxation, through meditation will help you increase your focus, improve your energy levels, multiply your ability to plan and make you far more effective each day.